Birkenhead, Broad Street, Charles Harriman, Darlington Street Methodist Church, Express & Star, France, Lonsdale Road, Oaklands Road, Queen Mary's Grammar School, Royal Aero Club, Royal Flying Corps, South Staffordshire Regiment, St Michael and All Angels Church, Tettenhall, Walsall
Charles was born in Wolverhampton on 17 November 1893, the son of Frank and Kate Harriman. In 1901, they were iving at 20 Oaklands Road, Wolverhampton, along with his sister Elsie and brother Leonard. Charles was taught at Queen Mary’s Grammar School, Walsall. The family were at 28 Lonsdale Road, Wolverhampton, by 1911, and Charles had an additional brother, Philip. Charles had become a fitter and turner for an iron foundry.
When war broke out, Charles was an apprentice at Cammell-Lairds, Ltd, Birkenhead. He enlisted with the 5th Battalion of the South Staffordshire Regiment (number 9403), and first served from 5 March 1915. He was wounded in July 1915. In July 1916, he rose to become Second Lieutenant, and volunteered for the Royal Flying Corps. On 14 March 1917, he was awarded his Royal Aero Club Aviators’ Certificate, by which date his address was 16 Broad Street, Wolverhampton. He joined the 43rd Squadron General, and brought down three hostile airplanes over the course of five months. However, he was killed in action on 29 October 1917 in France. A report of his death appeared in the Express & Star on 2 November 1917. The value of his effects was £119 6s. 7d. He is buried at Lapugnoy Military Cemetery in France, and is remembered on the roll of honour of Darlington Street Methodist Church and St Michael and All Angels Church War Memorial in Tettenhall.