Arthur Gooderidge, Butts Road, Express & Star, Gallipoli, Harry Gooderidge, John Gooderidge, Lowe Gooderidge, Machine Gun Corps, Penn, Russell Street, South Staffordshire Regiment, South Wales Borderers, Swan Bank, Turkey, Wales, Worcestershire Regiment
John and Fanny Gooderidge had a total of nine children. In 1901, they were living at 29 Russell Street, Wolverhampton, along with Gertrude Mary, Kate, Lowe, Alice G., William H., Fanny, Harry and Arthur. By 1911 they were living at 3 Swan Bank, Penn, Wolverhampton, with Kate, Lowe, William, Fanny, Harry and Arthur.
John James was born in Wolverhampton in 1882, and was working as a locksmith in 1901. He married Mary Ann Hales in Wolverhampton in 1904, and by 1911 the couple were living with her widowed mother and their four children – Lily Florence, Esther Elizabeth, George Edward and John James – in Newport, Wales. John was working as an iron worker. John enlisted with the 4th Battalion of the South Wales Borderers (number 12898), but was killed in action at Gallipoli on 9 August 1915. He is buried at Hill 60 Cemetery in Turkey.
Lowe was born in Wolverhampton on 1 December 1888. He was working as a brass polisher in 1901 and was working as a cloakroom fitter in 1911. Lowe enlisted in the 1st/6th South Staffordshire Regiment (number 5019), before moving to the 10th Worcestershire Regiment (number 39968). He survived the war, and married Ada Price in Wolverhampton in 1924. By 1939 they were living at 26 Butts Road with their children Lily Irene, Barbara and Henry A. Lowe
Harry was born in Wolverhampton in 1897. He enlisted in the 1st/6th Battalion of the South Staffordshire Regiment (number 2734). He was killed in action on 13 October 1915, and is remembered on the Loos Memorial. His name was mentioned in the Express & Star on 7 August 1916.
Arthur was born in Wolverhampton in 1899. He enlisted as a Private in the Machine Gun Corps (number 136725). He was killed in action on 19 May 1918 and is buried at Cinq Rues British Cemetery, Hazebrouck, France.
Harry and Arthur are remembered on the memorial in St Bartholomew’s Church, Penn.