Army Service Corps, Bayliss Jones & Bayliss, Bilston, Bilston Road, Midland Counties Express, Monmore Green, Royal Artillery, Royal Field Artillery, Sedgley, South Staffordshire Regiment, Star Japan Works, Tipton
This image, of the five sons and one son-in-law of Mr and Mrs Thomas Thomas, Chillington Cottages, Monmore Green, appeared in the Midland Counties Express on 1 January 1916. All the brothers had worked at Bayliss, Jones and Bayliss:
- Private Thomas enlisted in the 2nd South Staffords on 26 August 1914 and had been in France for 10 months
- Driver Edward enlisted in October 1914 in the Army Service Corps
- Gunner Walter enlisted on 8 January 1915 in the Royal Artillery and was in France
- Driver James enlisted on 27 October 1915 in the Army Service Corps
- Gunner David enlisted in the Royal Field Artillery on 28 October 1915
- William J. Howard (son-in-law) enlisted on 27 August 1915 in the Mechanical Transport and was in France. He had worked at the Star Japan Works in Bilston
- Eldest son Henry had joined under Lord Derby’s scheme
These were the children of Thomas and Charlotte Thomas, living at 2 Chillington Cottages, Bilston Road, Wolverhampton in 1901 and in 1911.
Thomas was born in Tipton in 1883. By 1901 he was a coal boatman. He served with the South Staffordshire Regiment (service number 16284) from August 1914. He survived the war and was discharged in March 1919.
All the sons became boatman, but their common surname means that I have been unable to confirm details of their military service or their life, although the do appear to have survived the war. Edward was born 1887 in Tipton. Walter was born in 1891 in Tipton. James was born about 1892 in Sedgley. David was born in 1897 in Sedgley, and Henry was born in 1881 in Dudley Port.
William Howard married Elizabeth Thomas in Wolverhampton in 1907. By 1911, they were living at 349 Bilston Road, together with their two children, Henry and Arthur Frank. William and an engineers fitter. William also survived the war, and died in Wolverhampton in 1943.