Sidney was born in Wolverhampton on 23 April 1894, the eldest child of Arthur Benjamin Jones and Gertrude Hannah Chambers. He had a brother, Arthur Cyril born 1895, and a sister, Hilda Gertrude, in 1899. In 1901 the family was living at Avenue Villa, Codsall. By 1911 the family was at 87 Waterloo Road, Wolverhampton, in a seven bedroomed property. Sidney and his brother, Arthur, were both clerks for a hardware manufacturer.
In 1911 Arthur and Gertrude Jones became members of the Queen Street Congregational Church and Sidney followed in 1912. His name is on the Church’s 1914-15 Roll of Honour. Sidney enlisted on 3 September 1914 and served in the 1/6th South Staffordshire Regiment. He went to France on 5 March 1915. Sidney was discharged on 6 February 1919. He was given the Silver War Badge, and also a pension from 7 February 1919, due to gun shot wounds to arm, chest and thigh.
Sidney married Evelyn M Shinton in 1920 and moved for a while to 97 Plough Lane, Bilston. On the 1939 National Register he was living with his father, who was now widowed and ran a boarding house at 20 Aldersley Avenue, Seisdon. Sidney was recorded as a hollowware maufacturer and engineer. Sidney died in Wolverhampton in 1966.
The research for this blog post was completed by volunteer Susan Martin.