William Johnson Barnett
William Johnson Barnett was originally from Oakham in Rutland, born on 16 October 1879 to parents Thomas H. and Fanny Barnett. His father was a baker and grocer. By 1901, Barnett had moved to Wolverhampton and had married Elizabeth Hallett (born 1880 in Wolverhampton). In 1901 they were living at 78 Fisher Street, and Barnett was listed as an Insurance Officer.
The couple had married that year, and went on to have seven children – Thomas (1902), Alfred (1903), John (1905), Joseph (1907), Elizabeth (1908) and the twins Charles and Frank (1911). They appear to have moved about a lot, as over the course of that time the children were born in various locations, including Coventry, Leamington, Handsworth and Kings Norton. By 1911 the family had moved back to Wolverhampton, and were living at 21 Milton Road in Heath Town. By this date, Barnett was a Furniture Agent.
Barnett was a member of the Newhampton Road Wesleyan Church, and is listed in their Roll of Honour book (together with the photograph above), which has been referred to on this blog before. This includes the following information about him:
Enlisted in January, 1915, served in the King’s Own Scottish Borderers, being promoted to rank of Lance-Corporal on the field. Saw service at Gallipoli, Turkey, and was killed in action on 25th August, 1915, leaving a widow and 8 children.”
Other sources confirm that he was a member of the 1st Battalion of the King’s Own Scottish Borderers, Regiment Number 18112. He was killed in action at Dardanelles on the date stated, by which time the family had moved again to 44 Rugby Street in Wolverhampton. With regards to the 8 children mentioned, Freebmd confirms that the couple had another daughter, Lucy, in 1914. He is commemorated on the Helles Memorial in Turkey.