Alfred Edward Simpson was born in Wolverhampton on 27 May 1867, the son of William and Emma Simpson. He married Elizabeth Guy in 1891. By 1901 they were living at 185 Merridale Street West, Wolverhampton, with their daughter, Laley Florence (born 1895), and sons Alfred Evelyn (born 26 August 1896) and Alexander William (born 1899). Alfred (senior) was working as a cabinet locksmith. The family were at the same address in 1911, with an additional two sons, Percy Hector (born 1903) and Harold Raymond (born 1909). Alfred was working as a locksmith and his son, Alfred, was working as a boot repairer. Alexander attended St John’s School and was a member of St John’s Church Choir. The couple had another son, Bernard, in 1914.
The father, Alfred, was apparently on foreign service as a Private during the First World War, but I have been unable to confirm details of his military service.
Alfred Evelyn enlisted on 25 October 1915 in the 9th Battalion of the South Staffordshire Regiment (number 20276) and served until he was demobilised on 28 March 1919. He was awarded the British War and Victory Medals. He married Elsie Ward in Wolverhampton in 1929. By 1939, they were living at 70 Old Heath Road, Wolverhampton, with their daughter Muriel E., and Alfred was working as a shopkeeper in a general shop. Alfred died in Wolverhampton in 1968 at the age of 71.
Alexander enlisted in the B Company of the 2nd/5th Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment (number 53225). He was wounded, and died of his wounds in Belgium on 3 May 1918. Notice of his death appeared in the Midland Counties Express on 18 May 1918. He is buried at Arneke British Cemetery, and is remembered on the war memorial of St Chad and St Mark’s Church, and the war memorial of St John’s Church.
By 1939, Alfred and Elizabeth were still living at 185 Merridale Street with their youngest son, and Alfred was still working as a locksmith. Alfred died in Wolverhampton in 1949 at the age of 81.