The son of Fanny and John Spencer Iliff, Frederic was born in Burton-on-Trent in 1884. In 1901 they were still living in Burton, together with Frederic’s sisters, Margaret A. and Helen H. By 1911, he had moved to Wolverhampton, and was living on his own at 199 Lea Road. He was working as the manager of a gear cutting works for a motor manufacturer.
Frederic enlisted in the 6th Battalion of the South Staffordshire Regiment as a Second Lieutenant. His name was listed in the Express & Star on 30 October 1914 as one of the local men who had signed up to serve his country, with his address now being 3 Goldthorn Hill, Penn Fields, Wolverhampton. However, he was killed in action on 13 October 1915. He is remembered at the Loos Memorial in France, as well as in the Lady Chapel of St Peter’s Church and on the memorial at St Philip’s Church, Penn.