In 1914 there was only one family with the name Guggenheim in Wolverhampton. Mrs Guggenheim and her two eldest daughters attended Queen Street Congregational Church (Gertrude, the eldest, became a member in 1914), and the names of P D and G H Guggenheim appear on the church’s 1914-1915 Roll of Honour.
Percy’s father Gustave George (sometimes George Gustave) was born in Oxford in 1866, the son of Jules Guggenheim, a photographer, from Pest, Hungary. Gustave was also a photographer who preferred to be called a photographic artist. His work was well respected with the profession. He appears to have had businesses on his own or in partnership as well as working for others in both Wolverhampton and Birmingham.
The family probably moved to Wolverhampton soon after Percy’s birth, as his mother, Elizabeth (nee Cowern) came from the town. Percy had an older sister Marjorie (1892), and younger siblings all born in Wolverhampton: Annie (1895), Hans Gustave (1896), Louis (1898), Olive (1900), Ida (1901), Winifred (1903) and Thomas (1904). In 1901 they were at 18 Allen Road, Wolverhampton. In 1911 they were at 101 Newhampton Road and by 1914 they were at 57 Compton Road.
Percy was born on 23 March 1893 in Handsworth (registered in West Bromwich). With his second name, Deganhart, he was probably named after Deganhart Moll, a young Prussian artist who was visiting his parents on the 1891 census. He attended St Jude’s school and Wolverhampton Higher Grade School. On the 1911 census he is recorded as a photographer. He was 5ft 10ins tall.
On 24 January 1914 Percy joined the 1st Staffordshire Yeomanry, a territorial force (Regimental numbers 2785 and 300175) . He was called to its Burton depot on 5 August. On 27 October he embarked for Alexandria, arriving 10 November. On 8 September 1916 he attended a machine gun course at the Imperial School of Instruction in Cairo and passed with all his badges. He sailed back to England on 6 December to start at a cadet unit in Bisley at the beginning of 1917. On 25 May 1917 he was given a commission as 2nd Lieutenant in the Machine Gun Corps. Captain Arthur Mander of the D Squadron, 1st Staffs Yeomanry, certified to his moral character. In fact he served in the Tanks Corps, becoming a Lieutenant from 25 May 1918, and was stationed in Ireland. The commission was relinquished with effect from 9 March 1920. However this was not the end of his army career as he joined the Indian Army with a temporary commission as Captain with the 2nd Battalion Napier Rifles, who were based overseas from India. From 1922 onwards he is not mentioned in the Indian Army Lists.
Percy Degenhart Guggenheim changed his name to Peter Graham by deed poll in 1923, which appears to coincide with his marriage to Marjorie Morton in Warwick the same year. The National Register 1939 lists him as traffic manager, also an Indian Army reserve captain. Percy (now Peter) died in Warwick in 1975.