Avenue Road, Compton Road, Express & Star, London Gazette, North Midland Field Ambulance, Queen Square, Queen's Arcade, Royal Army Service Corps, Staffordshire Yeomanry, Stubbs Road, Tettenhall Road, WH Hinde & Co Ltd, William Hinde
William was born in Birmingham on 8 April 1859, the son of William and Jane Hinde. He married Flora Alice Snow in Wolverhampton in 1889, and they were living at Westfield, 55 Compton Road, Wolverahmpton, by 1901, along with their children Doris Flora, Hilda Blance and Cyril Henry George. William was working as a tobacconist. By 1911 they were living at 89D Tettenhall Road (on other record known as “The Gables”). From 1910 onwards, his tobacconist shop was run from Queen’s Arcade, Queen Square, as seen here to the right of the archway.
From the 1880s onwards, William served for 28 years with the Staffordshire Yeomanry (The Queen’s Own Royal Regiment), in which he was Regimental Sergeant-major. He retired from that corps in 1912, and joined the 3rd North Midland Field Ambulance as appointed transport officer. He was on his way to camp with this unit when war broke out. In April 1916, Lieutenant Hinde was transferred to the Army Service Corps, and was appointed temporary Captain in June 1917. On 6 December 1917, the London Gazette announced that he had been awarded the Territorial Decoration, in recognition of his length of service. News of this award was also reported in the Express & Star on 12 December 1917.
William survived the war, and died on 23 March 1949 at Hollydene, Stubbs Road, Wovlerhampton. His address by then was The Woodlands, Avenue Road, Wolverhampton. The value of his effects was £14252 4s. 2d.