The Official Receiver of Wolverhampton, Samuel Wells Page, and his wife, Matilda, had four sons who served during the First World War – Raymond Charles, Edgar Wells, Harold Aston, and John Kenneth Samuel. Edgar has already been featured, and Harold will be featured tomorrow.
Raymond was born in Wolverhampton in 1877. He obtained a Foundation Scholarship to Bradfield College, where he was captain of both the football and cricket teams. In 1901, Raymond was a Solicitors Clerk, and was boarding in the home of Rosa Charlotte Finnis in Chiswick, Middlesex, before becoming a Solicitor working in partnership with his father and brother Harold in Lichfield Street, Wolverhampton. He acted as Deputy Official Receiver to his father. He joined the Wolverhampton Cricket Club, and played on a number of occasions for the county. He was also a member of the South Staffordshire Golf Club. Raymond married Annie Pope in Christchurch, Hampshire, in 1911, and the couple had two children – Anthony R. M. (1912) and Dorothy A. (1916).
In June 1916, Raymond enlisted in the Royal Garrison Artillery. In April 1917 he obtained a commission in the King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, and subsequently transferred as Second Lieutenant to the 8th Battalion of the South Staffordshire Regiment. After four months in the trenches, he was invalided from the service on 22 May 1918, after a serious operation in hospital. Unfortunately, he never recovered, and died at home, which was the Poplars, Lower Street, Tettenhall, on 24 September 1918. The value of his effects was £1402 17s. 8d. News of his death was printed in the Express & Star on 25 September, and in the Midland Counties Express on 28 September 1918. He features on the South Staffs War Memorials site.
John was born in 1895. He was educated at Repton School. In August 1914, he joined the Army and obtained a commission in the 9th Battalion of the Warwickshire Regiment in September. In June 1915, he went to Gallipoli, where he was wounded on 7 August, and was invalided to Egypt. He returned home in October 1915, but was well enough to return to Egypt in 1916 and be attached to the Lancashire Fusiliers. Unfortunately, he was wounded again, and died on 22 August 1918 in France. The value of his effects was £240 10s. 7d. News of his death was published in the Midland Counties Express on 31 August 1918. He is buried at Sucrerie Military Cemetery, Colincamps.
They are remembered on the memorial at St Bartholomew’s Church, Penn, in the Lady Chapel of St Peter’s Church, and Raymond is remembered on the memorial at St Michael & All Angels, Tettenhall, and is buried in the churchyard there.