Henry was born in Portobello (registered in Wolverhampton) on 4 June 1897, the son of Arthur and Sarah E. They were living at 62 High Street, Portobello, in 1901. Henry attended the Central Council School in Willenhall 1904 – 1910, and then attended Wolverhampton Grammar School 1910 – 1914. They were at the same address in 1911, and Henry had gained a sister, Annis. Henry later attended both Willenhall and Wolverhampton Technical Schools, studying chemistry, machine construction, drawing and applied mechanics.
On 24 July 1915, Henry enlisted in the 21st Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers (service number 46388). He was wounded, and was discharged on 16 November 1918. He was granted a Silver War Badge (number B42459) on 27 November 1918.
Under the Government Scheme for Discharged Officers, Henry became an apprentice at Sunbeam Motor Car Company 1919 – 1922, training as a motor engineer. Beyond his apprenticeship, he continued working for Sunbeam in various capacities, engaged in road tests, diagnosing and rectifying breakdowns, and dealing with customers in the repairs department.
Henry married Ruby M. J. Webster in Wolverhampton in 1922. In 1939, the couple were living with their son, Trevor, in Bristol, but interestingly enough in a house called “Wulfruna”. Henry died in Bromley, Greater London, on 14 December 1978. The value of his effects was £24,409. He is remembered as a local man who served on the Portobello memorial.