The son of Patrick and Bridget O’Hara, John was born in Wolverhampton in 1881. In 1901, they were living at No 3 Court, Littles Lane, Wolverhampton, along with John’s sisters Mary Anne, Kate, Margaret and Julia. John was a general labourer. John married Nellie Hadley in 1906, and they had two daughters, Margarite and Nellie. In 1911, they were living with their daughters at 6 House, 1 Court, Grimstone Street, Wolverhampton. John was a bricklayer’s labourer. They had a further two children – John (1912) and Kathleen (1915).
On 7 April 1915, John enlisted with the South Staffordshire Regiment (number 18393). By this date, his address was 10 Montrose Street, Wolverhampton. He first served in the Balkans from 6 October 1915. In 1916, he suffered two instances of Trench foot, and spent time in hospital in Aberdeen and Edinburgh. The second bout on 3 February 1916 also included the addition of “Traumatic psychosis”. On 2 March 1916, he was admitted to hospital in Paisley with “delusional insanity”, although his foot was described as “quite healed now”. By 23 June 1916, it was recommended that he be permanently discharged, and was sent to an asylum due to the “Stress of campaign” and “The result of active service, aggravated by climate”. Unfortunately he died in 1917 in Lichfield. Although he is not listed on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site, he is on the Wolverhampton Roll of Honour.