The Midland Counties Express of 9 October 1915, spoke proudly of the five sons of a Mrs Gandy, of 15 Ashland Street, Wolverhampton, who were all serving in the army. These were the sons of Annie Gandy. Their father’s name variously appears as William Francis, Crighton or Laighton/Leighton Gandy. In 1891, the family were living in Glasgow, but had moved back to Wolverhampton by 1901. Due to the amount of information for each one, they will be featured in separate blog posts over the next few days, beginning with James Henry:
The article states that J. H. Gandy was a 22-year-old reservist working for the Star Engineering Company. When war broke out he rejoined the 1st South Staffordshire Regiment.
James Henry was born in Wolverhampton in 1892. In 1901, he and John were the only brothers still living with their parents at 21 Cobden Street, Wolverhampton. By 1911, he was with the South Staffordshire Regiment (service number 8770) at Whittington Barracks.
He disembarked with the British Expeditionary Force on 10 November 1914. He later joined the 9th Training Reserve Battalion (number 192612). In 1917, he married Faith Bentley in Wolverhampton.
James survived the war, and the couple had four children – Faith (1918), James H. (1920), Ronald (1923) and Iris (1926). James died in Wolverhampton in 1962.