The son of Richard and Harriet Edwards, Henry was born in Wolverhampton in 1887. Henry attended Ss. Peter and Paul’s Schools. In 1901 the family were at 53 Charles Street, Wolverhampton. In 1911, they were living at 129 Lower Stafford Street, Wolverhampton, together with Henry’s siblings William, Elsie and Richard, sister-in-law Nellie and nephew Walter. Henry was a tool setter for a Press Tool Maker. At some point he also worked at the Sunbeam Motor Works. In 1913, he married Henrietta Wood. They had a son, Henry J., later the same year.
Henry enlisted in the 6th Battalion of the Queen’s (Royal West Surrey) Regiment (number G/4985), joining the Army on 3 March 1915. According to an article in the Midland Counties Express dated 6 January 1917, he was “always cheerful and patient under every duty that fell to his lot as a soldier.” He was killed in action on 19 March 1916. The newspaper article noted that the attached photograph was a portion of a family photograph, including his wife and baby. His home address was given as 53 Bush Street, Springfields. His wife remarried to an Arthur Currin in Wolverhampton in 1922. Henry is remembered on the Loos Memorial, as well as possibly on that for Monmore & Victoria Works.