William was born in Wolverhampton in about 1889. He attended Brickkiln Street School and later worked for Mr Holloway of Bilston Road, Wolverhampton. There are various possibilities, but he is presumably son of James Henry and Mary Ann Evans, living at 46 Salop Street, Wolverhampton in 1911, and a boating mate, along with siblings James Henry and Elizabeth Naomi (written on the 1911 census as “Ealibeth Naynay”). William married Amy Hubball in 1914, and they had two children, William H. and Amy E., in 1914 and 1916.
William enlisted with the 2nd Battalion of the South Staffordshire Regiment (number 8686), first serving in France from 28 November 1914. On 29 January 1916, he was killed in a mine explosion “while he was engaged well in front of his own comrades during an action.”, according to an article in the Midlands Counties Express on 6 January 1917. An Express & Star article dated 2 March 1916 stated that he had previously been wounded three times, and had worked as a carter at Bilston before the war. His widow’s address was given as 4 Court, 9 House, Little’s Lane, Wolverhampton. His youngest child had been born after his last furlough, so he did not see his daughter before he died. He is commemorated at the Cambrin Military Cemetery, as well as on the Little’s Lane Memorial.