George was born in Coseley in 1888, the son of George and Fanny Wood. In 1891, they were living at 5 Webb Street, Sedgley, together with George’s siblings Mary A., Margaret J., William, Alice, Sarah J. and Ellen. By 1901, they were living at 40 Thompson Street, Bilston. In 1911 (now listed as Woods), they appeared at 168 Wellington Road, Bilston, and George was a shop assistant for a draper’s.
George served with the 25th (Tyneside Irish) Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers (number 48184). He died of wounds in France on 25 April 1917, and is buried at the Boulogne Eastern Cemetery. He is presumed to be the “George T. Whoods” listed on the Queen Street Congregational Church memorial.