The son of George and Florence Morris, Sydney was born in Wolverhampton in 1894. His unusual middle name was in fact his mother’s maiden name. He was baptised at St Mark’s Church, Wolverhampton on 25 February 1894. In 1901 he was living with his parents at 80 Oak Street, Wolverhampton, together with siblings Walter E. and Hilda F. They had moved to 112 Stafford Road, Wolverhampton, by 1911, and Sydney had two more sisters, Ivy Louisa and Florence N. Sydney had become a carter at a locomotive works.
Sydney served first with the King’s Own Scottish Borderers (number 20454) and then in the 1st Battalion of the Royal Scots Fusiliers (number 43141). He first served in the Balkans from 3 October 1915, and was awarded the Military Medal, as noted in the London Gazette on 19 February 1917. He died of wounds on 25 April 1917. His name appeared in the list of local men who had Died of Wounds in the Express & Star on 21 May 1917, although his surname is incorrectly printed as “Morros”. He is buried at the Abbeville Communal Cemetery Extension, and commemorated on the memorial in St Mary’s Church, Bushbury