Harold was born in Wolverhampton on 3 February 1894, the son of Edward and Clara Jemima In 1901, they were living at 6 Cardiff Street, Wolverhampton, together with Harold’s brother, George E. By 1911 they were living at the “Posada”, Lichfield Street. Harold had become a barman at the Posada, working for his father.
On 10 September 1914, he enlisted with the South Staffordshire Regiment (number 3004, later 240595). By this date, his occupation was given as “tool maker”. He served in France and in Egypt, before becoming sick in April 1916, from which he recovered and was appointed paid Lance Corporal. On 16 May 1916 he was wounded and remained at duty. He had various bouts in hospital before getting a fever in October 1916. He returned to duty later that month. In September 1917, his former employer, the Clyno Engineering Company, Pelham Street, Wolverhampton, requested his return for work in munitions. This was accepted and he was “medically boarded” and transferred to the Reserve. He was eventually demobilised in December 1918. His address now was the “Little Swan”, Horsley Fields, Wolverhampton. Further details of Harold’s military service are listed here.
Harold married Annie C. Hinde in Wolverhampton in 1920, and they had a daughter, Gladys J., later the same year. Harold died in Stroud in 1975.