John was born in Wolverhampton in 1888, the son of Arthur John and Mary Patience Tuft. In 1891, they were living at Ash Villa, Upper Penn, together with John’s brother Frederick Arthur, sister Evelyn Patience, grandmother Elenor Woodhouse and great-aunt Sarah Tuft. They were at 24 Lord Street in 1901.
John enlisted in the South Staffordshire Regiment (number 2979), and served in France from 5 March 1915. He was killed in action on the first day of the Battle of the Somme on 1 July 1916. This was noted in the log book of the Higher Grade School on 10 July, as follows:
Hear of the death of Sergeant John L. Tuft – write to the bereaved parents of this “old boy”.
He is remembered at the Foncquevillers Military Cemetery in France, as well as on the M & B Springfield Brewery Works Memorial (so he presumably worked there at some point), the roll of honour in the Lady Chapel in St Peter’s Church, and the roll of honour for the Higher Grade School. The value of his effects were £128 2s. 8d.