Army Service Corps, Chester, Cleveland Road, Express & Star, Flanders, John Fletcher-Brewer, Royal Fusiliers, Stockwell End, Sunbeam Motor Car Company, Tettenhall, The Shadow Caravan Company, Wales, Wergs School
John was born in Wolverhampton on 29 March 1895, the son of John and Florence Julia Fletcher Brewer. In 1901 they were living at 205 Stockwell End, Tettenhall, together with two servants, Elizabeth Gate and Francis Hoggins. By 1911 their address was simply “Tettenhall”, and they just had the one servant, Harriet Howe. John attended first the Wergs and then the Sedbergh Schools. From 1912, he was working at the Sunbeam Motor Car Company.
He enlisted in the Public Schools Battalion Royal Fusiliers in September 1914, and accepted a commission in the Army Service Corps (Transport Ammunition Column) in November. From January 1915 he was in Flanders, and was promoted to full Lieutenant in November of that year. He was mentioned in despatches by Field-Marshall Sir John French for gallant and distinguished service in the field, as noted in the Express & Star on 3 January 1916.
John married Norah Tulloch Glasgow in Chester in 1926, and they had a son, David M., born in Wolverhampton in 1928. After the war, John went into business with Robert Horne Sievwright manufacturing trailer caravans at Cleveland Road, Wolverhampton, trading as The Shadow Caravan Company. This coimpany was dissolved on 31 December 1931. John died on 18 October 1959 at Bryn Beryl Hospital, Llanno, Pwllheli, Wales. The value of his effects was £3682 12s. 10d.