James Harold Tennant (who appears to have been known as “J. Harold”) was born in Wolverhampton in 1893, the son of George and Ellen Tennant. In 1901 they appeared at 67 Great Hampton Street, together with Harold’s brother, G. Harry, and sisters Ellen and Kate. Harold later worked in the offices of Messrs. John Shaw and Sons, Ltd., of Wolverhampton.
On 5 September 1914 he enlisted as a Private in the local Territorials. After two years of active service he came home to train for a commission, rising to becoming Second Lieutenant in the South Staffordshire Regiment and returning to active service in October 1917. On 7 January 1918, there was a piece in the Express & Star stating that Mr and Mrs G. Tennant, now of 8 Fawdry Street, had received news that their son had been wounded and admitted into hospital suffering from a gunshot wound.
Fortunately, he survived the war, and married Winifred M. Reade in Wolverhampton in 1924. They do not appear to have had any children.