William Westwood was born in about 1890, the son of William and Ellen Westwood. In 1901 they were living at 51 Bismarck Road, together with William’s brothers Arthur and Joseph, and sisters, Ellen, Florence, Lillie and Minnie. In 1914, William married an Emma Rainford, and they had a daughter, Florence, later that year. They moved to live at 47 Stratton Street, Park Village.
William enlisted with the Royal Navy and became a Stoker 1st Class (number SS/107276). Unfortunately he died on 4 June 1915, a hundred years ago today. He is commemorated at the Helles Memorial in Turkey.