David Henry Bowdler was born in Wolverhampton in 1893, the son of David and Agnes Bowdler. In 1901 they were living at 96 Thorneycroft Lane, Heath Town. David’s father was not present in the household, which simply consisted of himself, his mother, Agnes, sisters Hettie, Nellie and Amy, and brothers Hector and Horace. By 1911 they lived at 255 Prestwood Road, Heath Town, and David and his parents were joined by his sisters Hettie, Nellie, Amy and Dorothy and brothers Hector, Horace and Cecil. By this date, David was a shop assistant.
Like Francis Sayfritz, David was another one of the men who answered the call in the the Express & Star for volunteers for new Special Service Companies for Non-Manual Workers. His name was listed in the newspaper on 31 August 1914, with his address given as 28 Prestwood Road, Wednesfield. David enlisted with the 1/6th Battalion of the South Staffordshire Regiment (number 2842). He was killed on 23 August 1915, and is commemorated at the Larch Wood (Railway Cutting) Cemetery in Belgium. He also appears on the Heath Park Memorial.