Aldersley Road, Blakenhall, Caledonia Terrace, Church Road, Cleveland House Hostel, Dudley, Dudley Street, Emily Barker, Freemasons, James Baker & Sons, Morris Christopher, Oxley Park Golf Club, Queen Street Congregational Church, South Staffordshire Joint Smallpox Hospitals Board, Steelhouse Lane, Tettenhall, the Staffordshire Mental Hospital Board, Voluntary Aid Detachment, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Dudley Joint Committee for Tuberculosis, Wolverhampton Borough Council, Wolverhampton Patriotic Committee, Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club
Morris Christopher was born in Walsall in 1871, the son of Morris and Percilla [sic] Christopher. According to the 1881 census, the couple were living at Oxford Street, Walsall, together with Morris’s siblings Alice and Thomas. By 1891 the family had moved to Caledonia Terrace, in Wolverhampton.
Morris started working for the shoemakers James Baker & Sons at their shop in Dudley Street. He married Emily Barker in Wolverhampton in 1895. He was promoted and moved to the Dudley branch, and he and his wife were living at 44 High Street, Dudley, in 1891. By 1911, they were back in Wolverhampton, at Caledonian House, 172 Steelhouse Lane, Blakenhall.
As he was 43 when the First World War broke out, he did not enlist, and instead became Treasurer to the Wolverhampton Corporation and Secretary to Wolverhampton Patriotic Committee. He received numerous medals for his commandment of Stafford No 33 St John’s Voluntary Aid Detachment, where he supervised the transportation of the wounded. His wife, Emily, died on 10 February 1915, and he remarried to Sarah Louise Evans in 1918. His father, then of Aldersley Road, Tettenhall, died shortly after the War broke out on 15 August 1914. He left behind effects totalling £782 5 s. 7d.
Christopher was elected President of Oxley Park Golf Club, and he annually presented a golfing competition cup named in his honour. He gave support to Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club and was a member of Dudley Swimming Club. In 1921 he was elected to Wolverhampton Council as a Liberal member, representing St James’ Ward. Christopher represented the Council on the South Staffordshire Joint Smallpox Hospitals Board, the Staffordshire Mental Hospital Board, Wolverhampton and Dudley Joint Committee for Tuberculosis as well as Cleveland House Hostel. He also became Chairman to the Parks & Cemeteries Committee and the Director of South Staffordshire Permanent Building Society. Christopher was a member of the Prince of Wales Lodge of Freemasons and was elected as Mayor in 1934 and three years later he became Alderman. Christopher died aged seventy-one on the 4th September 1942 at his home ‘The Bungalow’, Church Road, Tettenhall. His funeral at Queen Street Congregational Church was followed by cremation at Perry Barr. He left behind effects totalling £4930 8s. 6d.