There is a happier article in the Wolverhampton Chronicle of 7 February 1917, celebrating the wedding of Cadet Henry Mervyn Weir and Daisy Anne Stevens at the Presbyterian Church in Merridale Road.
Henry Weir was born in Wolverhampton in 1892, the son of Mr and Mrs George Weir, of George Street. He enlisted with the Royal Garrison Artillery, and had received the Military Medal by the time he got married in 1917.
His bride, born in 1890, was the daughter of Joseph Stevens of 149 Penn Road, principal in the firm of A. J. Stevens Limited. In the 1901 census, the Stevens family were living at 11 Tempest Street, and consisted of Daisy, her parents Joseph and Sarah, four brothers (Albert, George, Joseph and William), and two sisters (Ethel and Lilly).
The article noted further details of the ceremony. It was conducted by Rev T. F. Kinloch, with a Miss Gladys Hadley (the bride’s niece) being maid of honour and Lieutenant Barnett being best man. The reception was held at the Stevens residence, before the couple left by train for Paddington.
Weir appears to have survived the war, and the couple went on to have a son, Allan, in 1920.