Burnley, Coleman Street, Durham Light Infantry, Ernest Landucci, France, Francis Landucci, George Landucci, Lincolnshire Regiment, London, Newhampton Road Wesleyan Church, Royal Engineers, Shrewsbury, South Staffordshire, Whitmore Reans
Three brothers from the Landucci family served the colours during the First World War. They were the children of Alexander (a stone mason) and Annie Lavinia Landucci (nee Walker) who lived in Whitmore Reans. In the 1901 census the family are living at 158 Coleman Street, and the household consists of the parents, four sons (George, Francis, Ernest and Edgar) and three daughters (Annie, Lilian and May). Alexander Landucci died in 1907, so by the 1911 census Annie Landucci was a widow. The family were living at the same address. The daughter, Annie, was no longer living with the family, and they had an additional brother, Harry. Two of the serving brothers, George and Ernest, are featured in the Newhampton Road Wesleyan Church Roll of Honour, which is where the photographs have come from.
The oldest brother, born in 1888 in Burnley, was George Louis Landucci. In the 1911 census he was listed as a plumber. He enlisted in October 1914 in the 6th Battalion of the South Staffordshire Regiment (no 3598). He was transferred to the 5th Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment (no 266226). Unfortunately he was gassed at Ypres and died at Bapaume from wounds received in action on 21 March 1918. He is commemorated at the Grevillers British Cemetery in France.
Francis Charles Landucci was born in 1893 in Wolverhampton, and was listed as a lockmaker on the 1911 census. He enlisted with the Royal Engineers (no 471624). He survived the war, and died in Shrewsbury in 1946. He does not appear to have married.
Ernest Landucci was born in 1899 in Wolverhampton. He enlisted in the 52nd Durham Light Infantry (no 90914) in April 1917 and attained the rank of Lance Corporal. He served in France and was gassed in Lens in May 1918. However, he survived, and was demobilised in February 1919. He married Eileen D. Haigh in 1940, and they went on to have two children – Patrick and Mary – in 1941 and 1947. Ernest died in Islington, Greater London, in 1967.