This Club was opened at 69 Lichfield Street on 21 December 1914, as a place for wives and mothers of local soldiers and sailors to visit, get advice “and alleviate their loneliness”. The Club was promoted in the Express & Star, and was hoping to invite 200 or more women each day.
“Attractions” included a corner with toys set apart for child, “a department where the industriously inclined may operate at the sewing machine”, and a corner with a variety of “wholesome, but bright and interesting literature.” Hot drinks and a plate of bread and butter could be purchased for a penny. The Club served to give advice on filling in military forms, as well as providing paper and ink for the women to write to their sons, lovers and husbands.
The club was sponsored by the Mayoress, Mrs A. B. Bantock, who insisted it should be seen as “a home from home”.