Harold Edwards was the son of Silas and Jane Edwards (nee Southan), and was born on 12 September 1895. By the 1901 census Harold was living with his parents at 19 Wolverhampton Street, Bilston, together with his brothers Enoch, James, George and Charles, and sister Florence. By the 1911 census the household had moved to 24 Dudley Street, Bilston, and Harold, now a labourer, was the only child still living with his parents. The household were joined by boarder, Stephen Walker.
According to details in J. C. J. Elsom’s Honours and Awards: The South Staffordshire Regiment 1914-1918, he was employed at Sankey & Sons in Bilston prior to the War. He enlisted into the 1st Battalion of the South Staffordshire Regiment (number 9600). He served as a stretcher bearer, and was wounded on 26 September 1915 but refused attention until he had dealt with the casualties. He was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal as well as the French Croix de Guerre. The severity of his injuries meant that he was no longer fit for further active service. The citation for his DCM is as follows:
For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on the 26th September 1915, near Hlluch, Private Edwards, acting as stretcher bearer, while dressing a wounded man under heavy fire during the attack on the German trenches, was severely wounded, and although several men offered to help him in his work, he refused to allow this, or to be attended himself. Having finished his work, he walked over, in full view of the enemy and attended another wounded man, when he was struck by another bullet, and fell wounded a second time. He gave a fine exhibition of the highest courage and disregard of personal danger.
After the war, Harold married, and the couple went on to have two children, Harold and Gwen. Harold died in 1970.